Sunday 24 February 2013

Round the Island Race 2012.


Round the Island Yacht Race.

Well here we go, my first ever blog post.
Round the Island Race.
The event was on the weekend just gone (30th June) and was my 27th as a photographer. The forecast was for showers, sunny spells, with strengthening winds during the day, peaking at a force 7 on the Beaufort Scale, (31 to 35 mph) in the afternoon. As it turned out the wind was not quite as strong as this, but still enough of a blow to make things lumpy off The Needles and St Catherines Point.
I am always  asked two questions about marine photography, “what equipment I use?” and “how do you keep it dry?” I always shoot with two cameras. I use Canons, EOS 1D Mark IIs and 5Ds. The lenses attached most of the time are a 300mm 2.8L IS with a 1.4 converter and a 70-200mm 2.8 zoom. These give me excellent broad coverage for most eventualities. If I want to go in really close I will change the 300 for a 16-35 mm 2.8L lens. I use a plastic water proof fishing creel to keep the cameras, lenses, flash cards, spare batteries, etc in.
As for keeping the gear dry, it is almost impossible. Sea spray is always in the air, so this is where the marine photographers most important piece of equipment comes in. The Shammy, a good old fashioned shammy leather to wipe the worst of the spray off the gear and to clean the front of the lenses. I also have a collection of ordinary cloths and a small towel. All drying materials are kept in various pockets in my water proof bib trousers. I always work with a large offshore sailing jacket, which can be quickly closed around the equipment. This helps to keep the really wet stuff from drenching both me and the gear. I always wear a lifejacket which is inside the jacket.
I normally work from a 21ft RIB, basically a big rubber boat with a large engine on the back. And most important of all a driver who is also an experienced yachtsman who under stands what is going on and can safely put me in the right spot for pictures.
Here is one of the pictures from the race of beautiful classic boat “Eleonora” off The Needles. More pictures at my website www.patrickeden.co.uk


Eleonora, The Needles, Isle of Wight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Born 1960 College. Manchester Poly. One grown up daughter.